“Holy Family Catholic Academy sees technology as a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. Seamlessly embedding a variety of technology into our coursework clearly enhances student learning.”
Kate O’Brien, Principal
Holy Family Catholic Academy elevates our nationally and internationally recognized curriculum and instruction with a wide array of technology, tools, and resources. HFCA’s goal is to enhance students’ learning by integrating technology routinely and transparently into the curriculum. HFCA also takes seriously the importance of teaching students to use technology responsibly. We are approved as a Common Sense School, by Common Sense Media, a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to providing resources that help teach responsible digital citizenship skills. These skills are essential as we use technology to promote critical thinking, creativity and collaboration.
- Technology is not a separate subject. Rather than bringing students to a “computer lab,” we bring the lab to the students and use technology as a daily teaching tool and resource. Research and information fluency are integral in our students’ education. HFCA implements technology to:
- teach students to access, organize, evaluate, and communicate information.
- differentiate learning so all students are appropriately challenged.
- encourage personal productivity, creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration in the classroom and in daily life.
- foster student engagement so students begin to take more control over their own learning, encouraging student-centered project-based learning.
- New technology integration emerges as our teachers attend professional development, share ideas and knowledge, and explore the endless possibilities of creative implementation. Examples include on-line learning, project-based activities, game-based learning and assessment, coding skills, student-created media presentations, and collaborative learning sites such as Google Docs and wikis.
- HFCA's “Technology Coach” collaborates with our faculty to identify relevant technology that differentiates instruction and enhances our rigorous curriculum.
- All classrooms have wireless Internet connections and are equipped with interactive projectors.
- Technology is readily available and accessible for the learning task at hand. HFCA utilizes multiple platforms and devices to ensure our students are fluent is a wide range of devices and software.
- Grades K-2: iPads are introduced to support curriculum and learning to achieve the learning goals for our youngest students. Read more at com http://fw.to/kOaCneU.
- Grades 3-8 are introduced to cloud computing through the use of 1:1 Chromebooks. Students have access to iPads
To ensure HFCA remains current with technology, we have formed the HFCA Technology Advisory Committee comprised of IT professionals, parents, and HFCA staff. This committee is charged with reviewing and developing short and long-range plans for infrastructure, hardware, software, and cloud computing options, along with the professional development needs of our faculty and staff.
Click here to view a video made by 6th graders that incorporates social studies, math, science, and faith.